nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting back into this. Which event?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
o2awsum
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Getting back into this. Which event? Reply with quote

Hi, This is my first post here. It looks like there are some track knowledgeable folks on this site.

I have not done a track day for years, and looking to start back up.

I did several track days years ago in my 914/6. I even got a 'best spin' award at a THSCC TT for a 360 deg loop at South Bend on VIR south. That lap was only a couple of second slower than the ones without the spin. Shortly after that , a friend talked me into doing a track day on my GSXR, and I was hooked. Sold the car and bought a dedicated track bike. Well a crash last year has me spooked and I haven't been back to the track on the bike since. I'm getting to old and out of shape for that anyway...

I stumbled upon a street legal, but track prepped VW r32 a while back, and bought it primarily because I thought it was such a good deal (at least that is what I told my wife).

Was going to do the April THSCC HPDE/TT, but I just got around to looking at the details on their site, and it seems like I'm late on getting things prepped for this. They have a tech day this weekend, and it looks like they now require Hans. I would not only need to get one, but new belts as well. Should I just get one or go to other events that do not require this? I guess I could just do the HPDE and skip the TT, but If I'm going to be at the track anyway, I'd like to do the TT. I doubt I'd be able to get the car ready for the THSCC tech day this weekend anyway. If I miss the tech day, can I get the inspection done elsewhere at a later time?

What other events are there like the THSCC TT? The car is not set up to any specific sanctioning body rules or set of specs. The previous owner said he built it do do the Targa Newfoundland, but lost interest.

Sorry for the long post, and the life story...

Here are a few pics of the car:

Rigmaster
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a HANS or harness to do just the HPDE.

You don't need to go to one of the organized THSCC tech days to get your car teched. Many shops will do it for you (some will charge you for it, some will not). Just be sure to have the tech form available for the shop to fill out.

Check out www.trackschedule.com if you haven't already done so- this is a listing of HPDE's.

I don't know of any other local organization that does time trials like THSCC, it's either DE or race. If you think you want to race, I"m sure NASA would have a spot for you, though I have no idea what class the car would run in, or if you'd have any competition.
jtower
Licensed to Post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do some trackdaze events, the organizers love VWs and R32s in particular
EvanM5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time trial series is going to be strict on safety rules, for good reason. If say just do the HPDE to start again and get comfortable. Then buy a Hans.
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet vw...what's the history on it?

you dont see too many prepped vw's running around and that one looks pretty professionally done from the pics...

ps - ditch the low density (pool noodle) padding on the bars, especially on the ones that your head can potenially hit. Get some high density BCSI (great folks and located in NC) padding or some of their dual density padding.
ncbimma
Mod Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a CF hood on that VW? Any exterior shots?

This car looks familiar...hmm

*edit*

I knew I've seen this car! I see the CA hosted images... Cool

welcome.
bthayer23
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be one smooth talker if you told your wife you bought this car 'cause it was a good deal. Sweet ride. And yeah, that cage looks like it was built for rally. x-braces on the doors keep the trees out.
o2awsum
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to ditch the TT for now, and just do the HPDE only. I'll wait on the Hans decision. I just got the NC inspection done last weekend, and it passed, so it is street legal. I'd like to keep it that way, so I won't be able to get to aggressive on set up. I really don't want to risk to much damage w/real wheel to wheel racing as I need to drive this car to work on days I can't ride. I'm not really ready for racing anyway, I have to much to learn. I do like the idea of competition, that's why the TT was so appealing to me. I liked Autocross back in the day, when I did that, but you just don't get much seat time relative to overall time invested.

I'll replace the roll bar padding...the stuff that is on there now is pretty stiff, but I'm sure it meets no standards, or has any kind of certifications.

I'll check out Trackdaze (anybody who likes R32's can't be bad).

Yes, the car has a CF hood and rear hatch. The whole roof was removed and replaced with a std golf roof to get rid of the sunroof. 2 peace rotors front and rear, stoptech calipers, H&R coil-overs. Competition Haldex controller. A bunch of other nice parts, along with a really nice cage. Big focus on getting weight out of the car. Motor is basically stock, and it runs great.

The car was a salvage/theft recovery. The owner of a VW salvage yard in Florida put it together from parts. He had the cage done by ISC racing in Florida, they did a nice job. Overall it is a quality build, but weird. Not really a race car, but not a street car either. Not sure what it is, but it is fun to drive, and I like it.

Scottie, Yeah, I've worked at CA for over 10 years. I've also seen your bimmer in the lot, nice car. I need to swing down there and talk to you.
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a really sweet ride...

If I remember correctly, you were in a Talon or an Eclipse at that THSCC South Course event? Came around South Bend during the TT and hit a patch of fluid, beautiful 360 and continued on down the hill right?

The TT has progressed quite a bit since then... we've moved to an AMB transponder system, so instead of running three cars at a time, spaced to prevent passing... we run 12-15 cars at a time for 15 minutes. Passing is allowed and encouraged.

This year is the first year we are requiring a head & neck restraint device for the TT (doesn't have to be a HANS) for all TT drivers (last year it was a self-imposed GT class rule only.)

I plan on being at the April event... it's been a while since I've driven North Course. Doubt I'll do the TT this time though... no funds at the moment for a HANS.
EvanM5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy you can use my Hans if you want for the TT. I'll be instructing at the event but not planning on running the TT.
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:
This year is the first year we are requiring a head & neck restraint device for the TT (doesn't have to be a HANS) for all TT drivers

Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvanM5 wrote:
Stacy you can use my Hans if you want for the TT. I'll be instructing at the event but not planning on running the TT.

I dont have the mounts on my helmet Sad
David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:
EvanM5 wrote:

just borrow evan's helmet and wear it over yours... Mr. Green
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:

Rigmaster
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:
Stack wrote:
EvanM5 wrote:

Now THAT's some funny shit right there.

Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: