nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under 18 track events?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncbrock
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Under 18 track events? Reply with quote

Unfortunately for me, most HPDE schools\track events are 18+. I completely understand why most groups are 18+, but are there any out there that just require a drivers license? Maybe with a signed form from the parents + one of them being there with you? That GMP event down at CMP said it'd most likely be alright, I would just have to call and confirm, but its $350 for one day which is a little steep compared to other groups 2 day prices.

Ive seen some groups do a "hyperdrive" or like really novice small 20 minute session for like $50 but cant find any info or which groups do it. Parade laps arent cutting it anymore, and autocross doesnt come to my interest. My dad does about an event a month, and I actually want to start running with him now since Ive finally got my gti ready for track events
jtower
Licensed to Post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a 15yo student at a nasa-se event last year
autocross97
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd talk to skeen, he probably knows more on the topic than anyone else here. i'm thinking he had more experience before he was 18 than i'll have by the time i'm 30.
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine with NASA events. Their policy is as follows:

3.6 Minors
No one under 18 years of age (16 years of age,** with parental consent) is allowed to be
on the track. The hot pits (pit lane) are considered part of the racetrack. A minor
release form must be filled out and be on file with NASA at every event for 16 and 17
year old participants. All minor participants should have at least one parent or legal
guardian present at all times.
3.6.1 **Addendum to Minors
Persons under 16 years of age may, under certain circumstances, be allowed to
participate in on-track activities, including but not limited to: HPDE (open tracks, driving
schools), racing events, hill climbs, autocross, etc. The following criteria must be met
before a minor, under the age of 16 years, may be allowed to participate:
• Parental consent must be made, and a completed and signed minor waiver form
must be on file with the local NASA office.
• The Regional Director must approve, and should have specific permission from
the Executive Director.
• The minor must have some prior experience to justify the on-track activity as
being reasonably safe and prudent.
• The performance of the vehicle driven by the minor must be reasonable and safe
given the minor’s prior track experience.
• All NASA safety rules and precautions must be followed.
• It is required that at least one parent or legal guardian be present at the event.
It is strongly recommended that the parent or legal guardian accompany the minor
during any instructional periods.

I think most clubs are going to have policies like that. So as long as you have parental consent, you should be good to go.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/
"Motorsports...an addiction only overcome by poverty"
ncbrock
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, nasa events are so serious though. Last time I went to one it was PACKED, and seemed intimidating. Though in the beginner group I did watch some insanely slow drivers, so maybe I will be alright
EvanM5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncbrock wrote:
thanks guys, nasa events are so serious though. Last time I went to one it was PACKED, and seemed intimidating. Though in the beginner group I did watch some insanely slow drivers, so maybe I will be alright

So serious? You need to come to a NASA-Southeast event with us sometime. There's more PBR drinking (when you're older!), trash talking, moving people's cars in the middle of the night, and farm animal catch & release than seriousness. Very Happy
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how the larger events, like NASA, can be intimidating for students. In that case, I'd highly recommend Tarheel Sports Car Club and their HPDE events. Many of us started there and instruct there now. I'd also recommend Asphalt Ventures. Same deal...low stress track time with great instruction.

http://thscc.com/timetrial/index.html

http://www.asphaltventures.com/Welcome.html

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/
"Motorsports...an addiction only overcome by poverty"
ProCoach
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiza40 wrote:
I understand how the larger events, like NASA, can be intimidating for students. In that case, I'd highly recommend Tarheel Sports Car Club and their HPDE events. Many of us started there and instruct there now. I'd also recommend Asphalt Ventures. Same deal...low stress track time with great instruction.

http://thscc.com/timetrial/index.html

http://www.asphaltventures.com/Welcome.html

+1, if the age is not restricted.

We've had 12, 13 and 14 year olds in Skip Barber schools and the race series for awhile. That was the precedent for NASA to adopt those rules.
Skeen
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club; I don't know if they are doing an event this year, though. I did HPDEs with them before turning 18.

Check with TrackDaze and Asphalt Ventures as well. Not sure what their rules are.
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that with THSCC and my AV events, 16+ is OK, but the parent or guardian must be on-site and must complete the minor liability insurance waiver form (separate from the normal insurance waiver.)

In fact... Father's day weekend... June 17th-19th... come do the AV karting clinic, then the THSCC HPDE at Carolina Motorsports Park!

Mr. Green
ncbrock
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for confirming all the different groups. We are really limited to VIR and NCCAR for now, CMP is a little too far now that we moved to raleigh. Since my dad will be towing the m coupe and I would be following in my gti.
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncbrock wrote:
thanks for confirming all the different groups. We are really limited to VIR and NCCAR for now, CMP is a little too far now that we moved to raleigh. Since my dad will be towing the m coupe and I would be following in my gti.

I guess I can't fault anyone for wanting to stick close to home with gas prices the way they are.

Hopefully we'll see you July or Sept @ NCCAR... VIR w/THSCC in September also... and AV @ VIR Late November Mr. Green
ncbrock
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running with the SVT cobra club at VIR this weekend. will be running the grand circuit, should be a really awesome time Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: