nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Rack Swap - Shuddering Wheel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkp1288
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Steering Rack Swap - Shuddering Wheel Reply with quote

So I swapped in a NEW AAE Z3 steering rack the other day and bled the system as you're supposed to.

As I move the wheel from lock-to-lock the steering wheel gets feedback and shakes... If I do it quickly, the shaking is so bad, I have to cut the ignition off. I've literally gone lock-to-lock like 12 times, but after filling the reservoir the initial time, and once after the first lock-to-lock, it isn't taking anymore fluid.

I even tried cracking banjo fittings to help bleed the system and that still didn't make a difference.

From what I can read online it says I have air in the system still. Could this be attributed to a failing power steering pump? I have yet to read a definitive explanation as to what causes this vibration, but from what I can tell it seems to be a severe case of cavitation or "fluid hammer" within the system...
e30rapidic
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it's the problem but I know someone that had this happen when they hooked the lines up backwards.

pkp1288
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e30rapidic wrote:
Doubt it's the problem but I know someone that had this happen when they hooked the lines up backwards.

Yeah, you can't hook the lines up backwards on these racks. The banjo fittings are different sizes.

I did fix the issue. It was just air in the rack that I couldn't get out. The way I ended up getting it out was while the car was running and in the air, took the actual front wheel and moved it from lock to lock as fast as possible. Using the steering wheel wasn't forcing the air through because it would just compress under the load of the power assist. Since there wasn't any load from the power assist while using the actual wheel to articulate the rack it was able to push the air through.

This steering rack is pretty nice too. It's the 3111N steering rack for a 1996 Z3 1.9L. It is 2.7 turns lock to lock. It isn't OEM, but it is new, affordable, and built right here in NC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> euro Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: