nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 x6 50i issue, nav/I drive /radio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clinton~A6
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: 2009 x6 50i issue, nav/I drive /radio Reply with quote

The display/nav stopped working !
It just shows "BMW" and then goes black. It will show "BMW" every few minutes.
Nothing works, no nav, no radio, nothing.

Any suggestions?

bond007
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 iDrive (CCC) and have seen this same issue where it would not show the display. Shutting the car off entirely and restarting brought it back up.

How is the health of your battery? I have a small drain (OBD-II logger I leave plugged in is most likely the culprit) and I believe the battery power management system may be yanking power to accessories while the car is off and that is causing the display (as well as the clock) to stop responding as you describe. See if charging the battery / leaving charger connected will let you get it back up.

I believe there is a display "on/off" mode that you might want to assign to a steering wheel button (provided it comes back) and see if that will bring it back up.

The other thing I have seen on other iDrive vehicles is a break in the MOST bus loop. Either an open fiber-optic connection or a device connected to the loop which is dead/dying. There is a "lollipop" (loop) that allows you to bypass devices and see if they are the culprit but there are usually one or two devices in the car that must be functional to do that.

You could also see if you/someone has INPA or equivalent to pull codes/status from the various computers for your chassis and see if one is not providing a healthy status.
1993 RX-7 - far from stock and hand built
1990 MX-5 turbo - hand built
Clinton~A6
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. I'll try charging the battery and see what happens before I bring it to the dealership.

Clinton~A6
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I tried everything that was suggested, whether from here or a Google search, no luck.

I contacted Raleigh BMW last month and they wouldn't give me a price but rather an estimate of $2-3k. I was like "shit, that's a lot of cash". So I waited a little to think about things. I wanted to consider all the options and do a little more research on the issue. I finally decided to contact Wilmington BMW and they seemed pretty optimistic about fixing it. (dropped it off this morning.) The service manger informed me that there was a recall for programming and it could possibly fix the issue. No luck, it didn't fix it. He quoted me a price for the "gateway module" of $1650. He's going to have it over nighted and I can pick it up either tomorrow evening or Saturday. That's supposed to be the issue.... Keep your fingers crossed!

What really bugs me is that it has only about 80k miles and is a known issue in the BMW world and BMW won't fix it free. I don't feel a vehicle with a sticker price of $79,xxx should be having major issue with electronics this early on, if ever.

End rant....

Clinton~A6
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #2

Well it's fixed, the gateway module worked! Thankfully!

With that being said I received my car back in this condition:

A big scratch on the console where it appears that the tech tried to access the screws to remove the panels.

Also they tried to wash it, I use the word "tried" very loosely! If you're going to wash my vehicle at least do a better job than this! It looks like they ran it through an automatic car wash at 55mph! The pictures don't do it justice. The dirt left behind is down both sides and the entire back. (I only took pictures of the sunny side)

The positive; the man I'm working with to resolve the issues is awesome. He, at this point seems to be very proactive in making me happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> euro Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: