nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIR Oil slick spinfest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigmaster
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: VIR Oil slick spinfest Reply with quote

http://www.vimeo.com/22240697

In car video from Les Davis at the BMWCCA Club race at VIR this past weekend.

My friend Tom Tice got caught up in this- his is the red E36 that comes at the car with the video cam, notice in the video what happens after he goes past the video car- his car goes airborne over the pavement, ending up in the tire wall.

Lots of carnage caused by oil on track.
A4_Mike
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone made it out alright. The red E36 flying past like that scared the hell out of me - I could not imagine how Les or Tom felt during that time. Scary stuff! Shocked
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... looks like all kinda of fail in that video.
enigmaticdream
Combo Breaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is crazy! Bret your're so calm. I would have been saying some choice words if I saw another car coming at me going quite quickly. The craziest part is after it passes your car and you see it flying over the track behind you.

1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
1988 M3 Zinnoberrot/Natur (Elsa)
1995 525i Touring Hellrot/Black (Ursula)
5 speeds for all
jon_335
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is nasty scary. Watching the red E36 in the mirror is even scarier than watching it come at the driver. Seems like by that point a lot of cars were slowed down, yet he came flying off. Hard to tell for sure if everyone was going full bore or maybe just him. Hope everyone was OK.

2007 BMW 335i coupe
"Carmen" - 1996 BMW 328i **SOLD**
"The Dragon Wagon" - 2001 Saab 9-5 SEV6 **DEAD**
shiza40
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always my biggest fear. Crazy stuff.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/
"Motorsports...an addiction only overcome by poverty"
David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the in-car from the car that laid down the oil - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuSENC8v2k

sucks that there was so much bent metal, it was a rough weekend at vir from what i hear...

Last edited by David W on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jbraslins
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes.

2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (tow)
2002 BMW 330i SpecE46 (race car)
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige S-Line (kid hauler)
[Sold] 2015 Yas Marina Blue F80 M3 M-DCT
[Sold] 2010 Alpine White E90 M3 M-DCT
[Sold] 2002 TiAg E46 M3

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvanM5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary stuff
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmaticdream wrote:
Wow that is crazy! Bret your're so calm. I would have been saying some choice words if I saw another car coming at me going quite quickly. The craziest part is after it passes your car and you see it flying over the track behind you.

The in-car was NOT from me. It's from Les Davis, he's the calm guy.......

Wink

I would have likely had to get a haz-mat crew to decontaminate the car due to all the bodily fluids that I would have expelled if it had been me!!

Shocked
jaxx
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy video.

Les is a beast on an autox course, not surprised he was so calm during that incident. I would have needed a new pair of pants, I think.

99 Volvo S70 T5 | 05 BMW E46 325xit | 84 BMW E30 318i
All Euro. All Day.
ScORcHeR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video w/ Les Davis, at 1:37, he gives the timing tower a finger point. It's hard, but, I think I see the official waving the yellow. Then, when Les goes off track, I see a blue e30. Now for sure a yellow should be waving at the timing tower. Then 9 cars enter T1 at a reduced speed.

Question: Are the cars at time maker 2:32 exceeding the speed for a possible yellow that was waving at the timing tower?

Just wondering?
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScORcHeR wrote:
In the video w/ Les Davis, at 1:37, he gives the timing tower a finger point. It's hard, but, I think I see the official waving the yellow. Then, when Les goes off track, I see a blue e30. Now for sure a yellow should be waving at the timing tower. Then 9 cars enter T1 at a reduced speed.

Question: Are the cars at time maker 2:32 exceeding the speed for a possible yellow that was waving at the timing tower?

Just wondering?

These are my questions too... I could not see a flag in the flag stand... if anything, like the notes on Les' video state... it looked like something furled and in-hand, but not waiving.

I counted 8 cars that made it through safe after Les went off... with two others going off track (you might have missed the car that went flying off track left).

So those 8 cars saw something that had them slowed and aware enough not to spin. I feel bad for Tom Tice... but it looks to me like he had some red mist going on and reacted to the white smoke coming from the car in front of him
(instead of whatever was happening in the flag stand at that point, and/or more importantly, TWO cars off track track right, and one off track left.)

But... this was a race session, and not a DE session, so right or wrong, the mindset is different.
EvanM5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to defend any dangerous driving, and without being there, who knows what the circumstances were.

But the race vs DE thing is a big one. A yellow flag in a race doesn't mean come to a crawl, or even necessarily slow down. It means something is going on and you need to be aware of and ready to react to it. If I came flying through there, saw the yellow, and saw the cars off in the grass, I'd like to think I would question WHY they were off and go offline. But in that split second I think it's very possible that people associated a flag with the cars off track and were still taken off guard by the oil at the braking zone.

Again it's not an excuse, if a yellow is flying and you get caught up in that it's on you, not the flaggers. But it's easy to imagine how it happened, and hard to fault people too badly. Just a shitty situation all around. Could have been a lot worse!
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvanM5 wrote:
Not to defend any dangerous driving, and without being there, who knows what the circumstances were.

But the race vs DE thing is a big one. A yellow flag in a race doesn't mean come to a crawl, or even necessarily slow down. It means something is going on and you need to be aware of and ready to react to it. If I came flying through there, saw the yellow, and saw the cars off in the grass, I'd like to think I would question WHY they were off and go offline. But in that split second I think it's very possible that people associated a flag with the cars off track and were still taken off guard by the oil at the braking zone.

Again it's not an excuse, if a yellow is flying and you get caught up in that it's on you, not the flaggers. But it's easy to imagine how it happened, and hard to fault people too badly. Just a shitty situation all around. Could have been a lot worse!

Agreed... and I'm certainly not trying to start anything... in fact, my gut reaction was more towards the flagger in the stand than any of the drivers. The flag stand guy appeared to have been alone, and could have easily not seen the car blow his motor or go off track in time to warn Les... especially if his main concern was letting drivers know there was 1 lap to go. But it's what happened AFTER Les went off, clearly because of fluid, that concerns me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: