nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B5 S4 Stuttering/Hesitation, Low Boost, Black Smoke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EqualsM3Squared
Training Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: B5 S4 Stuttering/Hesitation, Low Boost, Black Smoke Reply with quote

Hey gents. I need your help on an issue with my 2001 S4 that occurred this evening, see details below.

2001 S4
6-Speed
Modifications: APR Stage I Tune, K&N Filter

I was doing a bit of spirited driving today on my way home from work and noticed that my boost was going up to 20psi at WOT, it has historically been at 17-18psi so I was a bit concerned. I drove a few more miles down the road and at one point, when I took off from a light, I heard a slight thud when I was shifting into 2nd accompanied by hesitation. At this point I was only 3 miles from home so I continued to drive the car home. The car was running terribly at this point, running decent until around 2500 rpm where it hits a brick wall and hesitates/bucks aggressively, it would also not boost past 5psi. I also noticed when it would hesitate, plumes of black smoke would come out of the exhaust. There is currently no CEL so I am looking for your guidance to see if it could be possibly something I could tackle in my garage or have it trucked to a shop. Thanks in advance for any input.
Learner's Permit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with Audis but general advice from having owned forced induction:
Colder weather = increased boost
Perhaps an intercooler hose popped off/loose due to greater pressure and why you can't build boost (hence the thud?)

That is, if it isn't something else worse. Pop open the hood and start looking for things out of place...
1993 RX-7 - far from stock and hand built
1990 MX-5 turbo - hand built
EqualsM3Squared
Training Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up being a torn TBB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> euro Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: