nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TZC/THSCC Rockingham October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
autocross97
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M III Pilot wrote:
911junky wrote:
Sweet pic. Turn 3 was a mystery to me the entire weekend...I could take any number of lines through there and didn't really know which was quicker. I need a data logger.

I can tell you from experience that going around the outside in the sand is not the fastest way through T3. Mr. Green

I will second that Embarassed althow it sounds like you were more fortuneate than i.
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeen wrote:
M III Pilot wrote:
911junky wrote:
Sweet pic. Turn 3 was a mystery to me the entire weekend...I could take any number of lines through there and didn't really know which was quicker. I need a data logger.

I can tell you from experience that going around the outside in the sand is not the fastest way through T3. Mr. Green

Exactly. Fast way around the Rock: inside line around every corner.

I'd agree with that except for fishhook. I found a rimshot was the best angle for me...damn rear-engine. Wink

'68 911S | '97 911 C2S | '97 911 TT | '07 911 GT3
Skeen
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:

I'd agree with that except for fishhook. I found a rimshot was the best angle for me...damn rear-engine. Wink

Yeah, not everything can go around the inside through fish hook, but you might be surprised. You can turn-in before braking if you head for the inside. You can get so much time there you can't make it up on exit with the other line. Loggers are good for these things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some in-car from Sunday's time trial, group 2... We were spaced well, so not much wheel-to-wheel action here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8428235888087513693&hl=en
911junkie
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vid and congrats on your win!

Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:
Nice vid and congrats on your win!

LOL ... hey, I'll take it any way I can get it right?

Lets hope next year goes well, maybe I can afford some dedicated track wheels/tires and legitimately vie for DSP or ITS honors.

According to my laps, I managed a 1:13.9xx Sunday during the third DE session. Very pleased with those numbers in a 2900lb car on street tires. If could lose some weight (me and the car) and get some stickier rubber under me, I should be in good shape. Very Happy
911junkie
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was definately looking good out there. Agreed, some weight loss would be a good thing...just ask me, I lost 400 pounds on the car and about 40 pounds on me and it makes ALL the difference in the world.

I was running MPSC's and am probably going to wait a while before I make the move to slicks. I have no idea how much I can gain with the slick tire but probably not worth the $ right now. As it is, the MPSC's aren't exactly cheap. Embarassed

You done for the year?

Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:
Was definately looking good out there. Agreed, some weight loss would be a good thing...just ask me, I lost 400 pounds on the car and about 40 pounds on me and it makes ALL the difference in the world.

I was running MPSC's and am probably going to wait a while before I make the move to slicks. I have no idea how much I can gain with the slick tire but probably not worth the $ right now. As it is, the MPSC's aren't exactly cheap. Embarassed

You done for the year?

Yes, done for the year... and I'm in the same boat with tires... I don't have enough camber for them (hell, I don't even have enough camber for these BFG's).
David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:

real slicks or DOT slicks?

why not just run toyos?
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:
911junky wrote:

why not just run toyos?

That's my next plan of attack: RA-1s or NT-01s but I think I still need more camber to really get the best value out of those. These BFGs are just as expensive as the RA-1s, and I'm only using the outer 2/3's of the tire... even with the strut hats swapped for some negative camber.
David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:
That's my next plan of attack: RA-1s or NT-01s but I think I still need more camber to really get the best value out of those. These BFGs are just as expensive as the RA-1s, and I'm only using the outer 2/3's of the tire... even with the strut hats swapped for some negative camber.

i dont know anything about the nittos but the RA-1's like a LOT of camber...they will still work ok on camber limited cars but you will need to rotate them often and flip them on the rims to get the most life out of them...some of the molded slicks require less camber but they cost more and wear out faster (not good for DE use)...

which bfg's are you using?
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:

i dont know anything about the nittos but the RA-1's like a LOT of camber...they will still work ok on camber limited cars but you will need to rotate them often and flip them on the rims to get the most life out of them...some of the molded slicks require less camber but they cost more and wear out faster (not good for DE use)...

which bfg's are you using?

I've heard the Nitto NT-01 is the same compound as RA-1s, just branded differently, and of course, a different tread design.

I'm on the BFG KD ... I really like the grip, but if the alignment isn't quite right, they will overheat quickly. The are a 200 TWR, so they have many of the same characteristics of a DOT R-comp.
911junkie
Postmaster General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:
911junky wrote:

why not just run toyos?

Not sure. I've heard the MPSC's have better grip and performance than the RA1's but heat-cycle out very quickly. RA-1's are worth considering but I hear they won't give me the same grip as the MPSC. I'm probably not good enough of a driver to realize the difference anyway...BUT, I can't get RA-1's in my rear size.

I've heard the same thing regarding the Nitto's. cheaper tire by far, similar grip and performance to RA-1's, but giving up grip vs. the MPSC's. Decisions decisions...

David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:
I've heard the Nitto NT-01 is the same compound as RA-1s, just branded differently, and of course, a different tread design.

probably true but the carcass/shoulder design is what will determine how much camber you need to run...
David W
Former HPDE Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:
Not sure. I've heard the MPSC's have better grip and performance than the RA1's but heat-cycle out very quickly. RA-1's are worth considering but I hear they won't give me the same grip as the MPSC. I'm probably not good enough of a driver to realize the difference anyway...BUT, I can't get RA-1's in my rear size.

I've heard the same thing regarding the Nitto's. cheaper tire by far, similar grip and performance to RA-1's, but giving up grip vs. the MPSC's. Decisions decisions...

from my understanding the mpsc's are closer to hoosier in speed/wear but are very sensitive to temperature...

for DE's, a tire that last longer is better than a tire that is quicker...why pay more for a tire that wont last as long for DE's?

toyo's should have something that works for you, they have a lot of sizes and plenty of porsches run them...you might have to get a slightly different size but toyos run small anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: