nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASA-SE at Barber...SpecE30 video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skeen
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: NASA-SE at Barber...SpecE30 video Reply with quote

Enjoy.

http://mikeskeen.com/raceblog/static.php?page=Skeen-Racing-Video

Write-up:

http://mikeskeen.com/raceblog/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Mike... question... and I've wondered this in all forms of racing.

When you pass someone, handily, especially someone not in your class, why not set up the next turn as a time trial turn, not a race/defensive turn? I'm specifically talking about the Random Grid video, theres a period where you're chasing down a camaro, another white/black or blue E30, and a black mustang. They get past the white miata with a center black/red stripe, you get caught behind him. he later lets you by with enough time for you to give him a courtesy wave... but you stay center track and hug the inside of the next left hander.

My question is, why not set up the turn for a fast exit to make a run on the other cars? Especially since it leads onto a long "straight" section.
Skeen
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:

When you pass someone, handily, especially someone not in your class, why not set up the next turn as a time trial turn, not a race/defensive turn? I'm specifically talking about the Random Grid video, theres a period where you're chasing down a camaro, another white/black or blue E30, and a black mustang. They get past the white miata with a center black/red stripe, you get caught behind him. he later lets you by with enough time for you to give him a courtesy wave... but you stay center track and hug the inside of the next left hander.

My question is, why not set up the turn for a fast exit to make a run on the other cars? Especially since it leads onto a long "straight" section.

Well, depends on exactly the situation. Generally, if you're really using the brakes you want to be straight, not veering back over to the outside. Also, you don't want to move over in front of someone else because they could pick their braking point differently than you. There's also the fact that some people will still try to go around you even if they didn't make the pass very hard. If they try the over under and make you go side-by-side into the next corner, you've blown two turns now.

Not really a simple answer, but often times it's just courtesy not to move back over under braking. Holding the inside line through the corner blocks any attempt at a repass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeen wrote:
Stack wrote:

Well, depends on exactly the situation. Generally, if you're really using the brakes you want to be straight, not veering back over to the outside. Also, you don't want to move over in front of someone else because they could pick their braking point differently than you. There's also the fact that some people will still try to go around you even if they didn't make the pass very hard. If they try the over under and make you go side-by-side into the next corner, you've blown two turns now.

Not really a simple answer, but often times it's just courtesy not to move back over under braking. Holding the inside line through the corner blocks any attempt at a repass.

So I guess maybe it would come down to knowing who you're racing with? For example... if you knew the driver of the miata, and had confidence that he wouldn't mind you pulling in front of him (videos can be deceiving, but it looked like you had plenty of time after you passed him)... would you consider it. Or is it also a rhythm thing? If you're basically driving the same line, would trying to do that disrupt things too much?

But thanks for the insight, that makes sense to me.
Skeen
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I went back and looked and there was room to go back over. I think it's mostly that when I started braking I was already 1 lane over, so it wasn't worth the extra move to the outside (though I did creep over a little bit). I think part of it is just muscle-memory (I'm trying too hard to explain this Rolling Eyes ); brake in a straight line then turn. Laughing
Stack
Asphalt Ventures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeen wrote:
Yeah, I went back and looked and there was room to go back over. I think it's mostly that when I started braking I was already 1 lane over, so it wasn't worth the extra move to the outside (though I did creep over a little bit). I think part of it is just muscle-memory (I'm trying too hard to explain this Rolling Eyes ); brake in a straight line then turn. Laughing

Oh I know exactly what you're saying... and it makes perfect sense now. And of course, I understand about not wanting to upset the car during braking. I guess I didn't realize you were that deep into the braking zone.

Great video as always BTW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: