nceuro.org Forum Index nceuro.org
North Carolina European Car Club
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech Your Car
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ScORcHeR
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Tech Your Car Reply with quote

PCA/VIR/Dec 1

My first instructors car after hitting the tire wall at the end of the front stretch after turn 1.

His right front steel brake line was rubbing on his right front tire. No brakes

I was not in the car when it happened. Very Happy



Back to top
M III Pilot
Post Whore


Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1768
Location: Hollywood, FL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was running with PCA, I've heard it's a bit more loose and relaxed than the BMW events?
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/user/MIIIPilot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stack
Asphalt Ventures


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 1600
Location: New Bern, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiminy Christmas!!!

I still find it hard to believe that between T17 (maybe T14) and T1 a car can completely lose all its brake pressure.


I'm guessing he's one of these "brake at the 2 marker" and trail-brake types. He obviously tried to make the turn anyway... isn't there plenty of run-off and even a sand trap if you go straight off?

This is why I always do, and always will give my brakes a quick tap a few seconds before getting into them hard in a heavy braking zone like T1 and T14 at VIR. That minute bit of time could be what saves you from something like this... giving you a split second of extra time (and asphalt) in which to react... especially in a non-competitive environment.

Don't get me wrong... yes, by all means, put your car on a lift and tech it... take the wheels off, inspect those brake lines and every other soft and hard part under the car that doesn't see the light of day much. But that alone won't always save you.
_________________
Stacy (Stack) King
Owner/Manager -- Asphalt Ventures ... www.asphaltventures.com[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
whitney
Licensed to Post


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 337
Location: Cary, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack wrote:
Jiminy Christmas!!!
Don't get me wrong... yes, by all means, put your car on a lift and tech it... take the wheels off, inspect those brake lines and every other soft and hard part under the car that doesn't see the light of day much. But that alone won't always save you.


Even more important for brake line issues -- with the car on a lift, leave the wheels on and turn the steering lock to lock while inspecting the lines for any interference. Anyone who goes on track should check this.
_________________
1 air cooled BMW + 1 water cooled Porsche
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Clinton~A6
Postmaster General


Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 5548
Location: Clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww what a shame, was that an 85 or 86 ?
_________________
Anthony
2006 330i
2009 x6 50i

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Stack
Asphalt Ventures


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 1600
Location: New Bern, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitney wrote:
Stack wrote:
Jiminy Christmas!!!
Don't get me wrong... yes, by all means, put your car on a lift and tech it... take the wheels off, inspect those brake lines and every other soft and hard part under the car that doesn't see the light of day much. But that alone won't always save you.


Even more important for brake line issues -- with the car on a lift, leave the wheels on and turn the steering lock to lock while inspecting the lines for any interference. Anyone who goes on track should check this.


I'd suggest doing it with the car on the ground as well, if possible... with the suspension uncompressed, the clearances will be different
_________________
Stacy (Stack) King
Owner/Manager -- Asphalt Ventures ... www.asphaltventures.com[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
911junkie
Postmaster General


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 4455
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he went off after 5a and went right into the tire wall on the right, directly at the corner worker. He was ok, and the passenger was ok, but you could tell that they were going to be hurtin' the next day. The passenger had the worst scrapes on his neck from his harness.
_________________

'68 911S | '97 911 C2S | '97 911 TT | '07 911 GT3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Stack
Asphalt Ventures


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 1600
Location: New Bern, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:
I believe he went off after 5a and went right into the tire wall on the right, directly at the corner worker. He was ok, and the passenger was ok, but you could tell that they were going to be hurtin' the next day. The passenger had the worst scrapes on his neck from his harness.


Ahh... that makes a little more sense, OP said turn 1 though.

Still ABSOLUTELY no excuse for an instructor to do that with a passenger in the car
_________________
Stacy (Stack) King
Owner/Manager -- Asphalt Ventures ... www.asphaltventures.com[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
David W
Former HPDE Champion


Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Posts: 5195
Location: Raleigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure he went off in T1 (looks to be way too much damage to happen at t5)...from what i heard from several instructors is that he did in fact lose his brakes on the front straight and went straight off....there is quite a bit of runoff room but not as much as you might think when going 120+

+1 to what stacy said about checking for pedal pressure before braking zones at the end of straights...a couple of light taps (you shouldnt feel the car slow down) will check for and/or build pressure and at least give you a little more time to start figuring out what to do (or in my case, scream like a girl)
_________________
Take your driving to the Next Level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
David W
Former HPDE Champion


Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Posts: 5195
Location: Raleigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M III Pilot wrote:
How was running with PCA, I've heard it's a bit more loose and relaxed than the BMW events?

from my experience this seems to be the case...i was up there that friday doing some coaching and the skill level of the two solo groups was a little bit lower than what i would expect from solo drivers...

imho, pca seems to be a little less focused on learning/instruction and a little more focused on letting people loose on track as solo drivers...
_________________
Take your driving to the Next Level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
ScORcHeR
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M III Pilot wrote:
How was running with PCA, I've heard it's a bit more loose and relaxed than the BMW events?


Last edited by ScORcHeR on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
ScORcHeR
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:
at least give you a little more time to start figuring out what to do (or in my case, scream like a girl)


Last edited by ScORcHeR on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
EvanM5
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Posts: 11388
Location: Durham, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScORcHeR wrote:
David W wrote:
at least give you a little more time to start figuring out what to do (or in my case, scream like a girl)


I scream going up through the S's!!!!


that's my favorite part of the track for sure
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
911junkie
Postmaster General


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 4455
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David W wrote:
pretty sure he went off in T1 (looks to be way too much damage to happen at t5)


I'll have to ask Tyler again but I was certain he went off in T5. Somebody did while we were away for lunch (they were setting up tires right at the corner worker station).

I did go over and speak to him. He said that he had lost his brakes but I was still thinking he had lost it in T5. I mentioned to him that I remember seeing where the tire marks were T6 (snake esse's) and he agreed, but then again, he might not had been right in the head after that incident.

Moral of story? Tech car well. No excuses for not having the car in top-shape to get on a racetrack. Especially with a passenger. I love taking passengers but I am also a real ass when it comes to my car, everything must be perfect. Just ask anybody who was around a few weeks ago when I went home after an exhaust leak. I take no chances.
_________________

'68 911S | '97 911 C2S | '97 911 TT | '07 911 GT3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
David W
Former HPDE Champion


Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Posts: 5195
Location: Raleigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911junky wrote:
I'll have to ask Tyler again but I was certain he went off in T5. Somebody did while we were away for lunch (they were setting up tires right at the corner worker station).

I did go over and speak to him. He said that he had lost his brakes but I was still thinking he had lost it in T5. I mentioned to him that I remember seeing where the tire marks were T6 (snake esse's) and he agreed, but then again, he might not had been right in the head after that incident.


couple of comments...that looks like WAY too much damage to have happened in the T4-T5a/6 area (low speed area)...also T5 is not a brake zone so if you lost brakes, you wouldnt be going off there...
_________________
Take your driving to the Next Level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nceuro.org Forum Index -> Track Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group